Friday 16 August 2013

The Dress... Part I



In many South American countries (where I am originally from) it is customary to have two wedding celebrations, the registry wedding which is a low key affair where the bride wears a simple but beautiful dress in any desired colour, and a church blessing in which the bride wears the traditional white gown and the couple (or their parents) pull out all the stops and plan the bash of the year!

As you may know my civil celebration took place in England, and although it was originally meant to be a very simple family event, it quickly spiralled into a full on garden country wedding, due to my fiancĂ©’s generous guest list. In the space of a month and with the help of family (Linda and Diane) and friends (Lollie and Hattie) we planned a night which I will love forever, and I am so glad now that we did not do the simple affair I originally wanted, as I would have missed out on that ‘I just got married’ feeling!

One thing I am happy about choosing from the start was the dress, although it was not actually chosen, it was made! Whilst in Bolivia getting ready to move back to the UK as an engaged woman, I was frantically doing some online shopping in the search for my perfect registry dress. I knew what I wanted, something in a cream lace that would be stunning yet simple, and although I had some good contenders I couldn’t decide, until my mom suggested I have it custom made. I initially thought that was crazy as I only had a week left in Bolivia, but luckily for me my wonderful aunt Idel used to own a couture business and offered to make it for me as long as I provided the materials. Together we picked out the fabric, I explained what I wanted and unbelievable as it may be, in a week her skilful hands created my perfect dress.

I love that dress and I will always love that it is one of a kind and made especially for my first ‘I do’. Here are a few of the ready-to-wear choices I was daydreaming of before getting my lovely, lacy, customised creation.

French Connection - Lark Rise Lace Dress

Dolce Vita - Starling Bell Sleeve Lace Dress

BCBG - Cut Out Lace Dress

Marchesa - Notte Lace Dress (as worn by Lauren Conrad)

Diane Von Furstenberg - Hippolyte Dress

Esther Australia - Lace Dress

All the best, Gaby xXx

No comments:

Post a Comment